View Single Post
Old 09-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

[QUOTE=SteveMacD]WTF? I wasn't saying they weren't a working band because of their set list. I was saying they weren't a working band because they've only done ONE studio album in ten years. Again, I still don't see how "The Dance," in YOUR words "re-established Fleetwood Mac as a band." If anything, it only re-established a way for Lindsey Buckingham to promote his music. If Lindsey had thought for a second that his album would have sold as well under the "Lindsey Buckingham" moniker as it would under the "Fleetwood Mac" moniker, we would have gone to a "Gift Of Screws" concert, not a "Say You Will" concert.

Maybe, just maybe, if they had thought more of those songs "back in the day" and actually played them in concert, people would want to hear those as much. MOST bands tend to gradually filter out older material as new albums are released. This band plays the SAME songs from "Fleetwood Mac" and "Rumours," adds a number of new songs from the album they're promoting, and are lucky to play two songs from the other albums. They've been an oldies band since the "Tusk" tour.

Whereas fans of the 1995 band actually got to see them in concert for a reasonable price AND actually had more opportunities to casually meet members of the band. I'd much rather have a new version of Fleetwood Mac if it meant we'd get more albums and more concerts. My only complaint about the "Time" band is that they played too many "Rumours" era songs. But, they have the excuse of not having an album out at the time.[/QUOT

Your entitled to your opinion but if you honestly do not see how The Dance put Fleetwood Mac back into the public's eye as a band, there is nothing I can say to change your mind . At the very least it gave the band a whole new group of fans, both younger and older. It put the name out there again, among other things I mentioned 6 posts up. Like it or not it re-established the band or at the very least the 75-87 band. Like it or not this is the lineup the majority of people think of when the hear the name Fleetwood Mac. When Lindsey left in 87 people went to see them by the thousands because Stevie and Chris were still there. In 1997 we got Lindsey back. in 2005 chris left but Lindsey and Stevie were still there, so the audience still figured they would be getting a fair chunk of the songs they expected to hear. One new album in ten years or ten new albums in ten years doesn't matter as far as justifying their viability as a working band. The road is where the real work is done and tired set lists or not, Fleetwood Mac gave us some great shows from both The dance tour and the Say You Will Tour.

How Lindsey decides to release his music is his decision. His reasoning could be fueled by commerce, his desire to work with the band. Whatever his reasons are Im still glad he's out there one way or the other. And honestly I could give a rat's ass as far as meeting Bekka, Billy or Dave.