Thread: remakes?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Well, I could even be slightly wrong. I went to bed, and thought, "you dumbass, that COULD be the Hohner Pianet(I think that's a different model than the clav, although I'm not positive....Daaaavvviiiidddd?)". But, there was NO way I was getting out of bed to change my post! But, I think the clav was always on top of the other keys, and this sure appears to be on top, so.......

David's the keyboard sexpert though...
Oooooo baaaaaby!

The Combo Pianet is what she playing there. The various pianets were electromechanical pianos (or just electric pianos for short).

The clav is another Hohner product (also considered an electric piano but used more by the funkmeisters & the R&B artists to punctuate the rhythm). Chris probably never (never say 'never') brought the clav onstage but used it here & there in the studio. When you think clav, think Stevie Wonder's funky "Superstition" line. When you think pianet, think Christine (or Zombies "She's Not There"). Somewhere there's another thread where I posted pictures of the pianet & I was trying to identify the very old pianet that she used live when FM toured in May/June/July/August 1975. I decided it was the N. I also had pictures from later on in the 1975 tour -- like around November -- & the Combo Pianet. So she switched to the Combo probably when it was first made available. The Combo says "Hohner Combo Pianet" on the back & on the front, & generates its sound exactly the same way that the older N does.

If you buy a Combo Pianet today, you will need to put on the new "sticky pads" they sell at clavinet.com. All the old sticky pads from these instruments are stickied out. The top-secret goo has worn off, thus rendering them unplayable unless you replace the pads. That's why I was really looking forward to the Nord Stage plan to include a pianet patch -- it would have been great & totally authentic because Nord is so good at simulating the electromechanical pianos. Bummer that didn't happen ... at least not yet. Pianet patches/voices on new instruments are so rare as to be practically nonexistent. One of the old Roland CD-ROMs has one, & the Voce module has a bad one (or a good mimic of the T, which nobody wants anyway).

moviekinks.blogspot.com