View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBanks147
Peter Green is more of a "playing through the blues sales" Guitarist than a "strummer".

I listen to many other guitarists than Lindsey but my technique is mostly influenced by him. It's far more intresting and unique to listen to than say, the hundred millin hendrix wannabes that shread all the time.
Peter Green was more rooted in the blues than most of the other "star" players of the time. Peter also had a great feeling. This is what differentiates players such as EC, Green and company from others, including Lindsey. If you have a feeling for the music then you can improvise without fail. Peter used to be the most classic example of this and today Clapton is. If you get thrown into a situation where you essentially need to jam then this separates the men from the boys. The Crossroads guitar festival from a couple of years back was a good example of this. You had Clapton, BB King, Buddy Guy and Jimmie Vaughan all bouncing notes of each other. Put a group of men like these guys together and they can improvise all night without dropping a bum note. If you think Lindsey can you need to take a closer look at his work. I think one of the most recent examples was Murrow from his Soundstage performance whn instead of coming up with a nice little solo he stuck half of "I'm So Afraid" in there instead...

It's good that you listen to other guitarists and that you have found, in Lindsey, someone you can identify with. But, If you look at Lindsey's own influences you will see they are many. You can't grow as a player if you are channelled. It's a bit like religion, if you only believe what one faith says then you can become somewhat blinkered.