View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva
Stevie may not have a range as large as Bekka - but if Bekka did all the touring and lived the crazy life Stevie has, Im sure Bekka's voice would have changed as well.
I doubt it. Bekka's parents still have very strong voices. I saw a recent clip of Delaney Bramlet singing "Everybody Loves A Winner" on his website, and it sounded every bit as good as how he did it in 1967 on Delaney & Bonnie's album "Home." Bonnie's voice is very strong, too. They lived even crazier lives, partied a lot harder, and are a little older than Stevie. Bekka, too, from what I've heard, used to date a lot of the big hair metal guys back in the day. But, I think she decided early on that she wasn't going to make the same mistakes as her folks or their friends.

Stevie NEVER had a strong voice. That doesn't mean it isn't good. In fact, that it's not as strong is why I think she is able to blend her voice in with others so well. She doesn't have the vocal strength to overpower the mix. And, I think it lends itself well to that fragile quality that makes her music so powerful to people. To be fair, Bekka probably had the strongest voice of ANY Fleetwood Mac singer, male or female.

Stevie and Bekka come from two completely different schools of music. Stevie is a singer/songwriter. Singer/songwriters aren't necessarily known for their amazing vocal ability. Bekka comes from a family that is known for their powerful voices. (So, there is the who genetic thing.) Comparing Stevie to Bekka is like comparing James Taylor to Al Green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva
Don't forget, Stevie is damn near 60. While Bekka's voice may be "better" - Stevie's voice has alot of character.
Please. Bekka just turned 38. She's hardly a spring chicken anymore. Bekka's voice sounds about the same today, with a lot of touring under her belt, as it did when I first heard it in 1992. Stevie's voice had changed drastically by 1986 (when she was 38). BTW, I didn't say Bekka's voice was better. I said it was stronger and had more volume. What they do is so different that it's not really worth comparing. The only Stevie Nicks song I've heard Bekka sing is GDW, and, again, too apples-and-oranges to compare. I like both versions (well, Stevie's not so much during the 87-90 period).

THE Stephen Hopkins