View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
ahem.... back to Heroes....

Heroes is argueably my favorite FM album...... it's "And Then There were Four" You can hear the musicianship of McVie and Welch on this album as they put together a string of dark, jazzy and interesting comp's... This album is anything but Vanilla...
I agree that the musicianship is solid, and the songs--on paper--are great. Everythng should have worked. But there's a weird lack of energy on many of the songs. "Prove Your Love" is an amazing tune and, in any other context, Christine would have hit that vocal right out of the park. But here, she sounds a bit listless and muddled in the mix. She's almost drowned out by drums, horns, and an arp string ensemble on "Come a Little Bit Closer" and, in terms of mixing, she isn't put up front enough on another killer tune, "Bad Loser." She sounds terrific on the title track, but then we have to conted with the cheesey horn track.

Welch's "Bermuda Triangle" and "Angel" are intriguing, but they're miles better on any number of live recordings.

I get annyoed with Heroes because it clearly had the potential to be an amazing, lively record. But most of the band's decisions (right down the cover art) were a series of misfires.