View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt View Post
Okay, I saw Babel this afternoon and left totally unimpressed.
I was going to write pretty much the same. There were some strong moments (personally I prefered the Japanese story, which was, IMO, the most depressing one, even though in a not so obvious way as the others).
And I agree with you that this sort of filming has been done before and been done much better.
I felt it was a very good example of a "patronizing" (sp?) film. It was filmed in a way that it was impossible not to make you unconfortable or depressed even after a while and I really can't take seriously directors who don't leave you the choise to decide what you feel about the story and try so hard to impress (the mexican story is "inexcusable" in that way- what was the problem? she did a stupid thing and suffered the consequences.Why did the director have to film the final scenes in the desert in such an obviously tragic and emotionally charged way if not but to make you feel sorry for her?)
I apologise for the ranting, but I get people telling me all the time what a great film Babel was and it 's seriously irritating.

It just seems to me that nowadays, any movie that does not star dragons or elves is considered a serious movie and thus, eligible to run at the Oscars.

Last edited by elie; 12-19-2006 at 10:07 AM..