View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 04:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt View Post
Bingo. That was my problem with "Crash". These movies are so heavy-handed. You make a good point about the scene in the desert. Although I think it was more than she did a stupid thing; this woman was completely under the control of "the man"--the one who told her she couldn't go to her son's wedding, the ones who assumed she was a criminal, the one who was in control of the wheel. I would have loved a more fleshed-out telling of that story.

But the more I reflect on the movie, the more I realize that I was quite intrigued by the Japanese story. That one just didn't feel connected to the film and was more like a short film attached to the movie. It was definitely the most subtle of the stories.

I'd rather have a movies like Quinceanara or Half Nelson, which subtly portray an extremely moving story and have fully developed characters.
ITA agree about Crash! I had thought of the same thing when I saw it (on the other hand, Brokeback Mountain was the utter opposite of that, IMO. I thought it was very moving, albeit subtle).

I hadn't thought of the Mexican scene the way you suggested and I like your interpretation..

I haven't seen the movie that you mention at the end of the post
However, another example of a moving and powerful story (without being manipulative) is - IMO- Million Dollar Baby. I appreciate Clint Eastwood very much as a director.

Last edited by elie; 12-20-2006 at 04:17 AM..