View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a movie freak. Once the Oscar nominations are announced, I see them all. For the past ten years, or so, I have put out my predictions the Friday before the awards to family and friends. Here's this years...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
This has been quite a year for the ex-American Idol contestant. Perfectly cast as Effie, she has been winning every award that she's been nominated for. However, the Academy could very well shake things up and give this award to the amazing Cate Blanchett (probably my favorite working actress today) for her incredible performance in Notes On A Scandal. Also in the running is Abigail Breslin, who was adorable in Little Miss Sunshine and has a lot of buzz behind her. But it was Jennifer Hudson that knocked everyone's socks off. She's a real winner.

Best Supporting Actor: Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls
Hollywood loves a comeback and this was a role that Eddie Murphy brought to life and reminded people what a talent he is. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the award goes to Alan Arkin. He was absolutely hilarious as the drug addicted grandfather in Little Miss Sunshine and he has a lot of support in the industry. But I think Mr. Murphy will get the award.

Best Actress: Helen Mirren, The Queen
One of the strongest best actress nominations in years, each lady is deserving of this award. But Helen Mirren is in a class all her own. She is the real deal. The only upset (and a highly unlikely one) would be five-time nominated Kate Winslet for Little Children. But this will definitely be Miss Mirren's night.

Best Actor: Forest Whitaker, The Last King Of Scotland
A brilliant performance and hands down the best acting job of the year. There is talk that seven-time loser Peter O'Toole might pick up the sympathy votes for his role in Venus, but he has already won an honorary award in 2003. I think Mr Whitaker will walk away with the Oscar.

Best Documentary: An Inconvenient Truth
Al Gore's film about global warming is something that every person on this planet should see.

Best Animated Film: Cars
While Happy Feet was a huge box office hit, the technology behind Cars left the penguins in the dust.

Best Direction: Martin Scorcese, The Departed
Although there is stiff competition from Clint Eastwood, the Academy will honor Mr Scorcese. After seven nominations and zero wins, it's his time.

Best Picture: Babel
This is the most difficult category to predict. While I personally would love to see Little Miss Sunshine win (a comedy hasn't won this award since 1998's Shakespeare In Love), the real race is between The Departed and Babel. I wasn't knocked out by either film, to be honest. I found The Departed to be too preachy and Babel to be too much like last years winner, Crash. But I think the Academy will go with Babel.

rbs