View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 06:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey sings but isn't a good singer technically- he never was. But is Neil Young, Dylan, Jagger, Reed, Petty? No. But even more as these examples, LB uses his voice as an instrument, esp on his solowork. All the backingnoises through fooling around with his own vocaltracks prove that. And live he compensates the possibilities of the studio with searching for the emotion and overstretching for the effect. I can understand everybody who claims he's off at times, but as you all know, I LOVE his live vocal style for exactly that reason. It's a form of soulsearching and that's vulnerability on a stick. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But everyone who aims for the edge falls off at times. That's part of the gutty approach. But if it works, it splits your spine. He still can hit my soul, and that last tour proved it more than ever, maybe even because of the lack of range. Comparing to Stevie or Christine is totally irrelevant. It's not about how time ages the voice, it's about what you do with it. And this guy still plays with his voice, in stead of trying to reach for the expected.