View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
on the whole I got bored with the constant stories of the drug taking and especially her portrayal of Lindsey as the grand producer of the music as if no-one else had part in the production of the albums. What was Christine doing then, sitting there saying nothing and letting him get on with it?

Gail
When I was young I was so used to reading about what a grand producer Lindsey was that I honestly thought the other musicians bascially NEEDED him to complete their songs. But any quick listen to demos (such as with Hold me) or the stripped down masters on Tusk of Honey Hi and Never Forget reveal what Christine has always said...she usually has a good idea of where she wants her songs to go before she enters the studio and that only when she's being generous to Lindsey do the songs differ vastly from their original conception.

Lindsey has also been credited with exploiting the Byrds-like vocal formula which, according to Rolling Stone's review of Tusk, began with "You make Loving Fun" and is abundant throughout Tusk. It's not hard to hear Chris using thick YMLF-like vocal textures much earlier, such as on the title track to Heroes are Hard to Find or in her harmonies to Emerald Eyes.

In short, she was most likely very involved in all stages of arrangment and prodcution of those records. She just doesn't blab about what a tortured genius she is.