View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
Of course I'll vote for Senator Obama. And so will an overwhelming majority of Democrats and Independents.
The latest polls I've heard give Obama only a slight advantage in terms of the Indies.

Quote:
You can mull over the slogans, his skin color, Rev. Wright, his time as editor of the Harvard Law Review, his "bitter" sound byte all you want; but come election day every voter that's a true Democrat will have a few core issues on his or her mind:
So how do you define a "true Democrat?" Someone who blindly votes down the ticket regardless of what is handed in front of yo u?

Quote:
1. THE SUPREME COURT APPOINTEES. IT IS HIGHLY LIKELY THAT 2 WILL BE MADE DURING THE NEXT 8 YEARS. IF YOU VOTE FOR McCAIN, YOU ARE BASICALLY CONDONING HIS VIEW THAT WOMEN ARE SECOND CLASS CITIZENS. A VOTE FOR McCAIN SAYS "ROE vs. WADE IS NOT IMPORTANT TO ME".
Fearmonger much? Any Supreme nomination has to be vetted through congress. It's doubtful that any right wing nutso will pass muster through a congress that has a heavy Democratic majority. You also make the assumption that McCain is going to be in there for 8 years. I don't think he will make it that long... one way or another.

Quote:

4. A VOTE FOR McCAIN SAYS "I SUPPORT GEORGE BUSH'S ARCHAIC ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY.
That's utter bullsh*t, and you know it. He has been with the Dems on many environmental issues.

Quote:
All this talk among Hillary supporters about not supporting Obama is ridiculous and Clinton herlself would be the first to agree with me on this.
She is playing the happy party gal now, but I know that deep inside she is utterly disgusted by what has become of the Democrats. Ridiculous or not, people with eyes and ears can see the blatant displays of race baiting, fear mongering, overt sexism, misogyny and media bias displayed by Obama's campaign, the DNC and the media. These are the people who refuse to reward this kind of uncivility.

Quote:
p.s. the Michelle Obama tape is completely false. She would never use the word or phrase "whitey". Step out of your West Virginia mindsets and open your eyes.

Quote:
And one more thought: was last night the first time a candidate in 2nd place did not concede after the front runner reached enough delegates to become the nominee?
Ted Kennedy was behind by several hundred delegates in 1980, but he never conceded and took it to the convention. Of course he lost, but he was praised for standing for his beliefs and being a fighter. FDR was nominated at the convention as well. There are other examples I am probably not remembering...

Quote:
I thought it was pretty tactless and showed a real character flaw in Clinton. Does she ever reach a point when it is no longer Me Me Me Me?
I think it is pretty tactless for people to exhort her to drop out even though the nomination vote does not officially occur until the August convention. And in a race this close, the tide can swing rapidly in either direction, and the superdelegates have the right to change their minds until the convention. The fact is, no matter how you tabulate it, Hillary won the popular vote and was bamboozled out of delegates by the May 31 RBC results. There has never been a race this close in the history of primary elections, yet the media would have you believe that Obama won in a landslide, which is untrue because a) he technically hasn't won and b) he won more pledged delegates, but she won more votes. I believe that Hillary supporters are today every bit as upset as Gore supporters in 2000. And even to this day Gore is still getting grief for conceding the election.