View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Next time we should opt out - Again, it was a group effort, but without the US, the defeats likely would have continued. If you really think the entry of the US in WWII (and WWI for that matter) did not turn the tide and allow Europe and Southern Asia to obtain a victory, then I suggest you are re-writing history.

And - Stalin was such a great guy With all due respect, the time period from 1945 - 1987ish was hardly a time for Russians to speak freely about anything. But, yes, Russia (like the other allies) played a significant part in WWII, at least on the Eastern Front. But, yes, you should be thanking Russia as well, though likely not for the Iron Curtain which fell shortly thereafter.

I am just curious, do you not acknowledge that America is a world leader (likely the largest) and that Amercia does huge acts of charity across the globe. Or is it just that I am acknowledging that fact that bugs you?
Course I do but you can't claim everything. So you're giving in to say that yes Russia played a significant part but you won't back down that it's due to America that we're all free of Nazi's? Come on. Russia was up at 4am, digging the path,pouring the cement, laying the bricks, and America comes along in the early hours of midday and sweeps through helping to finish off what Russia simply didn't have the numbers to do. Nobody is denying what America did but it this claim that we'd all be speaking German like we owe America something when if you look at it from outside of an American perspective then you'd see how we don't owe anything or if we do we owe numerous nations who don't go around tooting there own horn like americans do.

It's like in cricket when someone gets caught out they are acknowledged as having performed their task perfectly but it's the bowler that is said to have taken the wicket 'cause they set up the shot. You're acting like you not only took the wicket but took out the whole team 'cause you caught another bowler's ball. And then you wonder why you're booed off the field.