View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
It's interesting, in the city, the only main competitors of Starbucks are Dunkin Donuts and now those are popping up EVERYWHERE. And we didn't have very many at all a few years ago.

I personally hate Starbucks actual coffee but I like their sweet drinks. I remember reading somewhere that they purposefully brew darker roasts because they are less appealing and they hope that customers will choose to order the more expensive drinks (lattes, fraps, etc.) instead of just getting a cup of coffee.
Interesting. Coming from a heavy coffee background, (former barista and coffee house manager here! ) I will say that I am not fond of Starbucks brewed coffee. But their other products are pretty decent.

I've never really understood the hatred for Starbucks. It's my understanding that they are a great company to work for (part time employees, as well as same sex employees, are given full medical benefits) and the owner/CEO is also a philanthropist. Starbucks may not be your cup of tea (HA!) but I believe they paved the way for some truly excellent independent (and franchised) coffee houses.