Thread: Christine News!
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
I think it was kept deliberately low key. I think she was happy just (mainly) her and Dan working together. I can't imagine she'd want all that music label attention.

The lack of a tour was what did for the sales. Before it's release it was high in the pre-release charts but when it was released everyone who'd expressed an interest bought it but no one else. Not much press and radio and in the UK no TV didn't help either.

Gail

Agreed. She definitely seemed to want it that way, and so couldn't have been too surprised when it didn't sell millions! But such is the nature of the music industry now, it's so different, and certainly more difficult for 'older' artists whose fan base is less concerned about downloading tracks and more about paying the mortgage (to paraphrase Stevie in that SYW doc)!

I think you mentioned that ITM was maybe being 'reworked' for wider release though? Was that something Martin Wyatt mentioned, and if so is it maybe something to do with this? (Maybe a parallel project?)

I know Christine wouldn't get label execs involved as she doesn't want the hassle, but I do think that with more involvement from people like that behind the scenes any future release might reach a wider audience. However, I'd be equally glad if she just released something like ITM again! Anything to hear more of what she's been writing