View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Question: A bootleg copy of “Gift of Screws” found its way onto the Internet a couple of years ago. Does something like that hurt the album when it’s released or does it build up more interest?

Lindsey: It’s funny. There is a lot of new material that has been combined with some of those [bootlegged] songs. The songs that made it out on a bootleg were mainly songs that were older and had been waiting to find a home.

When I folded over the greater part of the material for what was intended to be a solo album into 2002 Fleetwood Mac’s Say You Will, there were a few stragglers. In the interim some of those did make their way out, but I’m not sure exactly how. People get CDs and they like to share. I think you have to look at the state of the business anyway, in which the model of the record company -- or at least the large record company -- seems to be in distress.

You could certainly make the case that in a few years maybe music will be free anyway, and that all the money will be made from touring and other aspects. I don’t really know. I’m not sure anyone knows.

In an environment where it’s not completely secure and people are sharing, I don’t see it as a big detriment partly because of that environment and partly because I’m not making these albums necessarily to try to burn up the charts. I’m making them because I have a love of the process.

I have a love of sharing with the people that have the ears and want to hear it live. It’s not worth putting too much energy into whether or not it’s going to hurt some aspect of the sales.
How seriously cool. Oh Lindsey how I love thee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
He worked the "cycles" back in and he hasn't been able to use that on in a while, so I bet that was spiritually uplifting for him.
I seriously laughed at the "cycles" thing, I thought you might like that