View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Gift Of Screws is a lot of fun, and, yes, Lindsey's manical laughing is hysterical! I have no idea what he's talking about "to the left, to the right," but he's totally playing and having a good time and it translates well.
Aside from "no one knows my name, walking down the street baby" the GOS ending are my favorite extraneous lyrics on the albu. They don't add anything to the song or its meaning, but they sound really cool, especially since he's using a deep and natural voice, "to the left, to the right, up and down, in and out, and around." I love it.

As for Right Place to Fade, I'd like to get a little tedious and psychotic here (ha, situation normal). Having that lyric revealed reminded me of an article I read when Michael Kennedy and Sonny Bono skiied into trees within 6 days of each other. The writer said that Sonny (after having drifted many years as a Hollywood hasbeen, working only occasionally on Fantasy Island, Love Boat or a game show) died at the peak of his career. Just at the right time for all of his accomplishments to be recognized and appreciated, when they wouldn't have been, if he'd hit that tree just a few years earlier.

The writer also pointed out that Michael Kennedy, a civic-minded young man who used his time and money to help the poor and his community, died when the most prominent thing he'd ever done was sleep with his underage babysitter (whose parents were friends of the family) and then claim he had a "sexual addiction." What he did was awful, but it's still sad that it obscured everything else he'd quietly accomplished in life. He died long before the good in his legacy could be weighed against the bad and be placed in context.

When I hear the phrase right place to fade, it makes me think of how, fair or not, people are so often judged for the present, rather than for their lives as a whole. And those people who find the exact, precise "right place to fade" are the rare and lucky ones.

I don't know what I hear on the record, but if Lindsey says that the words are "right place to fade" and not "twist of fate," I'm happy to believe it, because "right place to fade" works so well for me.

Michele