View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post

Right, and like the young Kirwan was going to step all over Green's toes with reckless abandon as he saw fit.
I think I read this from the liner notes from either "The Vaudville Years" or "Showbiz Blues". When Peter Green was convinced to come back to replace Spencer on the US winter '71 tour, PG set ground rules. He was not to play any solos, or sing. Sometime during that tour, DK threw a beer bottle aimed at PG's head in frustration. I've also read that on some shows during that tour all they did was a long jam based on "Black Magic Woman". It was at one of those shows Kirwan threw the bottle because he couldn't keep up with Green.

Quote:
As for surpassing Green, we may be sort of blurring aspects of larger FM themes here. I'm mostly talking about their overall contributions towards the end, not merely their guitar prowess. On both fronts though, the two were beginning to run head and head, so much so that Green was starting to feel a bit challenged, even threatened at times, by the upstart kid he originally freely encouraged. To what extent this all played out only those on the scene truly know. Maybe Jeremy has a few recollections he may choose to add.

I think you live in SoCal Fleetwood Mac world.
Since the last FM single with Green was "The Green Manalishi" (a PG song), I don't think he was challenged by any of Kirwan's songs. You're creating a rivalry that Green was not on this planet to recognize. He was trying to reach the fourth dimension while the rest of the band wanted to be rich. Yes, please Mr. Spencer respond. In fact, Green said later that he thought "Dragonfly" was Kirwan's best song with the band.

Quote:

Right, one which I am currently participating on. And once again IMO, he was not. Now you allow dissension here, right?
OK just for fun, who do you think is? If his initials are R. B., I'll say ok. Otherwise, it's a debate.

Quote:
I know the story too, well, as best we can stitch it together. "Young Eyes" could also be seen as endearing, even if DK didn't like it. As for the drinking aspect, what do you think most young musicians - especially at that ripe young age - were doing back then but drinking and/or smoking, often excessively. Danny was no different! His drinking got worse as time went on. Gee, where have we seen THAT before? Peter, in the same vein, was increasingly indulging in various drugs, only difference being his candle burned out much quicker with the heavier stuff (bouts of schizophrenia + depression aside).
It's all how you handle your booze. By 1972, nobody in the band was speaking to him.

Quote:
He also overdid it, with a personality that lent itself towards that kind of indulgence. How is it you can justify his drug peccadilloes - or at least size them up for what they're worth - but then cut Kirwan no similar slack with his booze and personality shortcomings? Is it because one smiled as he went down, while the other growled? Or is it the love of pure blues that causes such blind spots?

Maybe I should ask the same question, why are you debating Green's impact on the band? Danny Kirwan was not an original member. He did not steal any thunder from Green's talents as Green was battling personal demons. No one else on this board has been so contentious about this period. I can't believe I'm debating this because I like Kirwan's work very much. He's the reason I own Future Games, and Bare Trees.

Last edited by slipkid; 12-09-2008 at 12:09 PM..