View Single Post
Old 02-19-2003, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, the "Nostalgia" thing as it relates to the Time lineup:

What else COULD they do other than play the basic Rumours set, with Dave Mason's solo hits interspersed? They started touring in mid 1994, and it would be nearly/over a YEAR until the Time album was released, and who knows if they'd already started recording anything for it at that time. Other than Dave's "Blow By Blow", nothing else "new" was played. They HAD to be, for all intents, a Fleetwood Mac tribute band. And, though I THOROUGHLY enjoyed this incarnations live presentation, there are still nagging points that bug me. I still don't understand why they played a Traffic tune that Dave Mason didn't sing, and really had no involvement in ("Dear Mr. Fantasy")...were they going to re-record it for the new album? I could see them doing "Only You Know & I Know" due to the Delaney & Bonnie connection, with Bekka being in the band. But, I just didn't see the "History of Dave Mason" being thrown at me when I'm there to see Fleetwood Mac.

How this differs from previous incarnations is that the previous crews had released an album (or at least had recorded most of the album) by the time they hit the stage, so they HAD new material to present to the audience...the Time incarnation did not...so who's fault is THAT? It wasn't really a matter of letting the new members be themselves...they didn't have the NEW material to present. A hypothetical is that they could've included more of Billy's solo material, or even more of his Fleetwood Mac material (which wasn't even touched by the Time crew live)...they still had the capability to playing "In The Back Of My Mind", or "Hard Feelings", or "When The Sun Goes Down", but for some unimaginable reason decided not to. They could've included a song or two from Mick's Zoo that featured Bekka's voice, but didn't. Dave Mason could've swallowed is ego and sang one of the OLD Fleetwood Mac numbers, I don't think that would've killed him.