View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Let's rumble

JonsonP
As a solid gig-worthy guitarist Nigel does a fair job, but when it comes to trying to emulate PG's FM sound it just doesn't come close.

He doesn't match up to Green's navel. On stage that's pretty apparent. In the studio with the tricks and slights they can utilize, things aren't always as cut and dry. That goes all the more so for a guitarist of Snowy White's reach and caliber, or even incognito top-notch session men that are often employed on certain, less-than-forthcoming productions.

doodyhead
Nigel has own way with things. I am sure that if he dug deep he would have his own style. It seems however that he does not improvise very well.

Understatement of the year. They say he used to be pretty fluent on congas though.

Agreed that when Nigel plays his own style. But what is his own style?

LOL. You gotta stay in the game big boy. You're comments are too hip. NO MORE APOLOGIES PLEASE!

dansven
And I guess it's a give-and-take situation really. I mean: Where would Nigel be today without Peter? And where would Peter be today without Nigel?

Sad but true. Nigel has been there for years, and for that reason I think we all have to cut him a bit of slack now and again.

This sort of thing always puzzles me... if people can't distinguish Peter Green from any other guitar wannabe ... then what's the big thing about Peter Green then?? Why would he be so special then to those people???

You can for the most part, considering his playing style and phrasing is unique. It's even more evident on the stage. But I know what cats like Kirwan and White were capable of. If you think you can always "box" them conveniently, especially when they morph into imitation mode, you're sorely mistaken. That's also part of the magic of the studio and high end enhancements, if and when they're gunning for it.

I get the impression you admire Danny more than Peter. And I agree, Danny needs much more recognition! Though, as much as I really adore Danny (both as guitar player and songwriter), I always find that Peter is dimentions above him!

Adore? Mmmm, no. Admire what he brought to the Mac? Very much so. Feel he's under-recognized? To the max. Dimensions below Greenie? No chance, especially not by 1969-1970. As Pete was slipping, Danny was rocketing. He carried the TPO project. My greatest lament of the PGFM era is that we never got to put our ears to the preliminary tapes that were cut by PG and DK for what would have been the follow-up to Then Play On. It was supposedly heavily slanted toward the instrumental side of things, but had just barely got off the ground.

As for them trading licks, I've no trouble identifying who's who!

Wanna take a crack at TPO then -- what percentage on that production do your ears tell you is PG on the guitar front?

Howabout a Mike Bloomfield vs. Peter Green debate instead?

You caused it, now Vinnie is feeling blue for being candid with his views [*slaps a paper mache cut-out of doodyhead in hopes he'll come back to his senses and snap out of his late lament* ]. As I see it, once you make the "big time", you're marked for additional examination and critiquing, whether it be good, bad or somewhere in between. You already get the big bucks and hot chicks, so that's the least you can expect back in return. What fun is just lapping praise upon a bunch of musical prima donnas? Same thing goes for those we elect to govern us, and our bosses and leash handlers - it's all fair game in love and war. Artists are no different, and fall under the same, often intense, spotlight.

slipkid
Oh no! Here we go again, and I'm not helping this time! I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines.

Right. Stay out of it, if you know what's good fer ya.

absinthe_boy
I think we all agree that we hope Peter isn't wheeled on stage by someone hoping to use his name for their own financial gain. Another great musician in a somewhat similar situation, who I have seen perform live and from very close to the stage...Brian Wilson. Now there's a guy who has good and bad concerts.

Excellent comparison, and quite apropos. Both were musical wizards, both helped set certain standards during their heyday, both were nice guys (almost to a fault), and both went down in a hail of hallucinogenic bliss, er, blues, never fully to return.

Peter has good and bad days, days when he feels pumped up at the prospect of performing in front of an audience and days when he'd rather go watch a DVD with a cuppa.

Say it again. His storyline in a nutshell from the time he left the PGFM era.

Ms Moose
This aspect is could maybe help distinguish him from others/imitators. They can (to a limited extent) imitate the "tone" or "feel" - but not the timing/pace. Maybe this is why some of us don't care too much whether he is "playing lead" or doodling - whatever he does he is "present".

Agreed. But with just the right wizardry behind the controls and dubs, lots of things can be "pushed" if a concerted effort is made to imitate. At least by capable hands, more than some imagine.

Hope this wasn't too "long-haired" (danish slang for space-cadet ramblings) and sorry about the broken english.

Dang never knew you were doubling up. Your command of English is par excellent. Chops to that Moose.