View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
You can for the most part, considering his playing style and phrasing is unique. It's even more evident on the stage. But I know what cats like Kirwan and White were capable of. If you think you can always "box" them conveniently, especially when they morph into imitation mode, you're sorely mistaken. That's also part of the magic of the studio and high end enhancements, if and when they're gunning for it.
Mister, you're talking contradictions here!
You're suddenly saying it easy to identify Peter's playing, and especially onstage, because it's unique and everything. Wouldn't it be right to assume that Peter could do even better in the studio than onstage? After all, you emphasized how his concerts were ups and downs. In the studio on the other hand, he would have the chance to do several takes to get the best results. And didn't have to deal with the "stage fright" part of it.

Quote:
Admire what he brought to the Mac? Very much so. Feel he's under-recognized? To the max. (...) My greatest lament of the PGFM era is that we never got to put our ears to the preliminary tapes that were cut by PG and DK for what would have been the follow-up to Then Play On. It was supposedly heavily slanted toward the instrumental side of things, but had just barely got off the ground.
Agreed!
Regarding the instrumental project, I have a clipping of an NME interview with Peter from '69-'70. He said that it would be an album of instrumentals, and that he already had 6 songs ready. I'm not sure if he meant written or recorded. I'm sure it would have been a classic album.

Quote:
Dimensions below Greenie? No chance, especially not by 1969-1970. As Pete was slipping, Danny was rocketing. He carried the TPO project.
Peter "slipping"??? Now what is your definition of "slipping"? I'm sure he was having some mental issues (guilt, money etc...) during his last days with FMac. But his guitar playing didn't change ... didn't lose any energy... until after "The End Of The Game". Listen to his contributions to Memphis Slim and Toe Fat, which were recorded after he left FMac. Danny could never do that kind of stuff.
Peter's schizophrenia really manifested after The End Of The Game, with mental institutions etc. That's when I'd say Peter was "slipping".

Do you have have any live bootleg recordings from '69-'70?

Danny "carried the TPO project." How can you say something like that???
Give me some proof!
Really, to me this sound like a rash statement of a Kirwan fan.

Your admiration for Danny is the big issue, isn't it? Let me again say that I really admire Danny, and not as a foil for Green.
However, if Danny had what Peter had, and according to you was rocketing and carrying the TPO project... then why didn't the guitar playing on Kiln House, Future Games and Bare Trees have that same magic as Then Play On?

Quote:
Wanna take a crack at TPO then -- what percentage on that production do your ears tell you is PG on the guitar front?
Sure I can!! But why don't you give me YOUR percentage first??? Instead of telling me I haven't got a clue.