View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
How about Carole King join Fleetwood Mac? She ain't doing much, right?
  1. She plays piano in a McVieish way (check out her lightweight blues intro to "Smackwater Jack")
  2. She sings in a McVieish way (reedy alto with minimal ornamentation)
  3. She writes classic pop songs
  4. She has a legacy & an audience
  5. She has the critical stature to play with the Mac (nobody would say she doesn't measure up)
  6. She's about their age.

True, she isn't a cutting-edge, push-the-envelope, "relevant" rock artiste, but then neither are they. Would she be compatible with Buckingham's more avant-garde leanings in the studio? Maybe not, but no less so than Nicks herself is.

Imagine a tour -- imagine a stage -- with Nicks & King harmonizing on a Buckingham song (or Buckingham & King harmonizing on a Nicks song).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fveEU8NAhcc

Good call. I've had that thought once or twice, but she's got such a laundry list of classics that I'd almost hate to see it happen. I really don't want to deal with that "I didn't pay $20 to see Fleetwood Mac play somebody else's songs" logic again, like when Dave Mason was in the band. (I had fun, and thought the songs fit in well, but it was annoying to hear those drunk idiots bitch about it nonetheless.) Still, Mick and John would totally kick ass on on I Feel The Earth Move.

THE Stephen Hopkins