View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default It's the anger, and the passion that wins out for me.

It's the versions with Fleetwood Mac. "A Fool No More" from the Blue Horizon boxset is essential listening. If I remember it's eight takes, with Green getting very frustrated with the false starts. Finally by the eighth take, he's angry yet restrained in his approach to the song. His restrained technique, only to drop the hammer when it gives it's greatest impact is Peter Green. That was his gift. Not only that the way he plays those quasi blues/jazz chords is perfection, not one bum note.

Jimmy Page didn't play the blues like this until Peter Green became a well known musician. Songs such as "Since I've Been Loving You" I think are a direct influence from Peter and FM, with songs such as "Drifting", and "A Fool No More". They may have not been released on an album, but I'm sure Page visited a FM gig or two back then. I read from a third party, so I don't know if it's accurate: Apparently Jimmy Page admitted that when it came to British blues, Peter Green's FM was it.

As for "It Takes Time", it's 1/70 in New Orleans. I'd even choose the Brunning version, but this has some teeth. It gets a little weak towards the end, but again it's Peter's inner fire during this period that set himself apart from the herd.

Last edited by slipkid; 09-20-2009 at 11:34 PM..