Thread: The Kirwan Song
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The song has some vaguely Kirwanesque touches, but it doesn't really sound much like his music. Except of course that they lifted "Sunny Side of Heaven" into their song wholesale Kirwan better have got a credit for that, or else it's a seriously rum deal - take out SSOH and the song barely exists. And I don't think I've ever heard a drummer wreck a song quite like Holmegard did this one

The last 1:20 is a bit more like it, there are some definite Bare Trees-style noodlings there, but it's all taken from SSOH. And the drummer's still awful It's good though that they're drawing attention to Danny, providing he gets royalties for this, of course.

The other song that I keep seeing described as Kirwanesque is "Dragon", which sounds so much like Nick Drake, it's unbelievable. You keep thinking it's going to launch into "Northern Sky" or something, and with this band's penchant for borrowing other people's songs, it's not unlikely.

There is one very good Kirwan-style player out there though, even if he is certifiably crazy.