View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
'Future Games' and 'Bare Trees' AREN'T "good stuff"? My my, we have a difference of opinion here. LOL

I like the idea of starting with the first one and working your way up through time chronologically. It enables a new listener to hear the changes in the band in order (even if not in "real time"). I obviously like 'Future Games' better than you do, so I have no objection to its being a good starting point. And if this listener is going to learn to appreciate Danny Kirwan (an important side benefit of becoming interested in Bob's music), she will have to start with the albums that Danny is on.

But if she wants to listen to them alphabetically, or based on which cover picture she likes the best, or any other random criteria, that's fine too. The important thing is that she take any one of those records and puts it on the turntable.

Personally, I like 'Penguin' the least of the five, but when I skip the Dave Walker tracks it takes a giant leap into the top tier.
Ok well I look at it this way, if you are into the Rumours era, the most accessible and similar work is the album before SN & LB is Heroes Are Hard To Find. Personally I would think that anyone starting off listening to Future Games who is a post-1975 fan would run reasonably quickly back to the safety of Stevie & Lindsey.

Oh and regarding Dave Walker:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
My my, we have a difference of opinion here. LOL