Thread: What if?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 02:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Scary, are you kidding? ChiliD thinks they would've been better than Led Zeppelin. I think they could've been equals. If those "Live at the Boston Tea Party" tapes were released in 1970 as intended, Fleetwood Mac would've been a whole new ballgame in the United States.

Look, I know I'm in that minority red headed step-child section of what became a very successful pop band. Yet ask Mick Fleetwood the same question. He'd drop his current life (and band) in less than a second to bring back Peter Green's version of Fleetwood Mac. Why do you think he has a blues band on the side?

With all apologies to Jeremy Spencer, I think his time was up by 1970, and he had felt excluded for a long time. I think Peter's sudden departure put pressure on Spencer to stay longer than he wanted in the band. If Peter had not left 5/70, I think Spencer would've left in a more formal fashion to leave an opening for Christine McVie (Perfect). So the future of Fleetwood Mac would have been (ironically) the post Spencer 1971 U.S. tour, with more Peter Green songs in the setlist. There also would've been a four month U.S. tour beginning in 6/70 which would've solidified Fleetwood Mac as a legitimate concert band in America outside of the hippie ballroom circuit, on top of the release of the Boston live album. Peter Green's legacy in the U.S. would've been secured, and the rest of the history of FM would've been very different.

My best guess is that you would not have been a fan of that band. Otherwise the word "Scary" wouldn't have been used in your original post. Personally, this band would've been a member of the rock music ladder of great bands. The Rumours band is The Eagles, Jackson Browne, and other assorted California rock from that period. Very pop, very popular, and very successful, but not Peter Green Fleetwood Mac great.
You know what? thats completely true
I only found out about Fleetwood Mac exactly one year ago, by watching School of Rock. I thought to my self, who is this elusive Stevie Nicks?

Anyway, here is another what if...
  • Stevie was not in the 'package'