View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=michelej1;862045]That's a hysterical thought.

Michelej and David, the reason I made the Columbia House comment is because very recently I indulged in a small splurge and purchased a sealed 'Timespace' vinyl LP, thinking the inner sleeve could be really lush or something, as the cd version was pretty nicely packaged. Well, this C.H. vinyl has the most hilarious inside sleeve, in that all of Stevie' long ass song notations are printed in about 1/20th of a normal sized font, it would take superhuman eyes to read a word of it. It's not a gatefold LP either. Still glad I got it, I've long wanted a larger photo of her wearing those baby blue print draperies over her head.
And, the vinyl version of 'Sometimes Its A Bitch' sounds way better to me (yes, "warmer") than any cd or cassette version I've heard. The odd guitar twangs in it sound good on vinyl, never cared for the way it sounded before. And I love the lone soaring 'love's' near the end of 'Love's A Hard Game To Play' which also sounds really good on vinyl. Yet, oddly, the remixed with 'stardust added' versions of 'Whole Lotta Trouble' and Stand Back pop more on cd and cassette than they do on this record. Maybe '91 remastering was made for cd and not vinyl. Perhaps 'Sometimes It's A Bitch' had been recorded using whatever vinyl technology was left over at the time, because to me it sounds worlds better on vinyl, more shadings to it and not as generic and bland as I found the song to be in other formats.
PS- this vinyl version of 'Bitch' really brings to light something I'd never noticed before. Songwriters Jon Bon Jovi and Billy Falcon totally ripped off the famous chord-twang thing of a wonderful song called 'No Regrets' written by Tom Rush in their opening and recurring 'odd guitar twangs' I mentioned above. Had 'Bitch' been a hit, there might have been a bitch of a lawsuit over it by Tom Rush.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 12-27-2009 at 05:09 PM..