View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
You know I've been thinking about this and I really don't think it's true. Fat jokes are made every day, you hear them on TV, in films, on the street, in your office. Some aren't too bad but some are really mean-spirited and nasty. I know a few people got upset here, but in general I really don't think being fat is considered untouchable at all, it's ridiculed and looked down upon all the time. You only have to glance at a copy of Heat or any magazine to see how shameful it's considered.

But anyway, I don't really want to get into the argument because I don't really care any more than that, but I was watching an interview today with Sharon Osbourne talking about getting a gastric band and it sounds pretty horrible, although it worked for her. She was saying to her that food was an addiction and unlike the treatment for other addictions you can't give up food altogether, you still have to eat every day, which I thought was an interesting way of looking at it and echoed what Carrie said in her post.
you're wrong and i hate you!

you're right, in many ways fat people are a free for all. i was thinking specifically and speaking generally. i don't know heat magazine, but i assume it's a gossip mag? in that case, there really isn't much that's off limits for those rags, tho i know what you mean. however, many people do treat it as an untouchable topic -- just see the comments in this thread -- and i don't think that's helpful for anybody.

on the topic of obesity, the atlantic had an interesting article on it a couple months ago:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...-obesity/8017/

i don't agree with everything he has to say, but it's still an interesting look at the issue from someone who has firsthand experience with it.