Thread: October
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Registered

Today, October 4, is the date when 40 years ago that Janis Joplin died. I googled Janis, under "news"- and in new articles, Stevie Nicks' name came up twice. Once was in an article quoting a Big Brother musician, who said he's 70 and doesn't have all the time in the world left, so "get me Pink, get me Stevie Nicks"-- to record a song he co-wrote with Janis from the vault, that he released small-time, with only 500 copies of it pressed, and he'd like to see it recorded by Stevie or by Pink. The Joplin estate balked, then relented, realizing that 500 copies wasn't worth getting all legally-inclined over.
The Joplin estate has finally hired a professional to help 'revive the diminished presence or legacy' of Joplin- in the past decade, especially, Janis is not selling at all, so they hired the same man who runs the still very profitable merchandising of Jim Morrison and--- I forget the other dead star- (James Dean, maybe? Marilyn?)
There are several plans in the works to bring Janis Joplin's name back into public consciousness- Laura Joplin admits that she knew nothing about keeping the legacy strong- one plan is for a jewelry line, 'Pearl's pearls" -- based on Janis' style, not sure if that will work out or not. Sounds like a lot of bracelets and feathers!
The 2 articles than mention Stevie I just saw last night, maybe they belong in the Nicks McNuggets thread that Viv and Michele seem to work hard at keeping updated. I don't have links handy, and they were only brief SN mentions- one of the 2 articles said something like "Stevie Nicks, especially" had replaced Joplin as a symbol of enduring female rock stardom- Well, SN's career is in its 35th year of stardom now, Joplin had less than 3 years for her entire ('famous') career before she died.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 10-04-2010 at 12:47 AM..