View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Registered

^^^^

Haha. I don't know about stress food, but I do love me some comfort food. I think it's definitely anything that makes you feel better or cozy or like "home." Probably everyone has different things on their list, but there do seem to be some universals in American homes, like mac and cheese, or anything with gravy. I've noticed that most things people refer to as comfort foods aren't exactly healthy, either.

The majority of the time, though, when I need some comfort food, I head for the stuff I grew up eating. I spent much of my childhood in a town predominantly inhabited by Eastern European folks - mainly Hungarian, Polish, and Slovak.

My family is Hungarian, so I am fond of the Magyar staples my mother and grandmother made, like haluski (basically noodles with cabbage), beigli (a rolled pastry, traditionally filled with walnuts or a poppyseed mixture - I like the poppyseed best) and kaposztasalata (coleslaw, but instead of mayo, you use oil and vinegar). My mom loved spicy food back then, too, so she always planted tons of Hungarian wax peppers in her garden - I like those straight, like you'd eat an apple or something. They look similar to banana peppers, but have more bite.

I also love Slovak foods like pagach (basically a mashed potato pizza) and halupki (stuffed cabbage - the Polish call these "galumbki"), and the heavenly Polish sausage sammich or a giant pot of pierogi.

Om nom nom.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''