View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet View Post
I can't speak for the US, but here in the UK, Stevie really isn't a well-known figure these days. ... Fleetwood Mac were well-known as a band, without any individual standing out. Probably because Christine had the most hits, as many as Lindsey, with Stevie having very few. I'd take a stab and say that either "Albatross", "Everywhere" or "Little Lies" are the best-known Mac songs here, then "Don't Stop" and "Go Your Own Way". I'd be surprised if many people knew "Landslide" at all. The end of "The Chain" is very well-known thanks to TV, but I doubt many people know it's Fleetwood Mac.
I have to absolutely agree with that, being originally from the European side of the pond. And, I'd probably extend your statement beyond just <30 crowd. Most people there know/knew FM band, not the individual members. I'd suspect if Stevie would ever tour solo in Europe, that tour wouldn't fill any more seats that if Lindsey toured solo - but I may be overstreching...
Still can't get over how almost nobody in the US knows Albatross - from what I could remember it was as huge as something like "Smoke on the water" all around Europe at its time, and it's still played on every summer terrace...