View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Does anyone know why Rick left after the Behind the Mask tour? Was it his choice or was the choice made for him?
It was on his own. He's never really said why, as he's a very private person, but I suspect it had something to do with that Mick-Stevie feud. I mean, his record featured Stevie, was on Modern, and he toured with her a few years later. Water under the bridge, now.

Quote:
Personally if feel FM should have went to a more hard rock style instead of the country/rockabilly route they went. Not neccessarily hard, hard rock/heavy metal, but more a rock and roll band and less of a soft rock/pop/country band.
Ironically, Billy Burnette was the one who gave the band it's hardest rocking song of that time (In The Back Of My Mind).

IMO, with alt.country gaining popularity with bands like Uncle Tupelo, I think Fleetwood Mac should've maybe found a way to use the talents of Bramlett and Burnette to go that direction. In some ways, I wish they would've continued after "Time" with Bekka and Billy. Chris was out by then. I would've parted ways with Mason, and brought in Mick Taylor, who helped the Stones create that sound that blended country, blues, and pop. (Plus, it would've given them an excuse to have Bekka and Billy do "Gimme Shelter", and you know that would've rocked.) I doubt it would've been all that commercially successful, but there would've been a market for it, and I think there would've been some critical acclaim for reinventing themselves.

Quote:
Lastly, Billy should have been more of the focus during the Time era. Was Dave Mason really even neccessary?
Billy quit in 1993 to focus on his solo and acting careers. The band hired Dave Mason in the interim. Billy rejoined prior to the band hitting the road. He has stated that his limited role was mainly due to coming into the sessions late.

(There has been some dispute about Christine's involvement. All I know is that every interview the band did mentioned her still being in the band, and a few pictures that have surfaced showing Christine playing in a practice space with Mick, John, Bekka, and Dave prior to Billy coming back.)

NOTE: Two things I forgot to mention in my slow death of Fleetwood Mac's image were the two horrid videos put out around "Tango," namely "Red Rocks" and "Tango In The Night." Close-ups that were clearly not the same footage as the show? Lame.

THE Stephen Hopkins