View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Yeah it really is. I wish that Danny had stayed longer as I feel, vocally/harmony wise, that Danny, Welch, and Christine could have been as good as Stevie/Lindsey/Christine ...
They had a lot of opportunities that they passed up. Future Games is filled with songs where more vocal interplay and participation would have been welcome. Imagine the potential for harmonies on "Woman of a Thousand Years." Danny duets himself there, but Christine and Bob appear to be absent--or at best mixed down. Same goes for "Sands of Time" and "Sometimes." All of these songs would have sparkled even more than they already do if there were prominent harmonies on them. And the recent clip of FM performing "Lay it All Down" live on British television shows that there were opportunities for vocal interplay that didn't get noticed on the record.

On Bare Trees, there are, again, many songs that would have benefitted from harmonies. The title track, "Child of Mine," "The Ghost," "Dust"... It's not often mentioned but the brief tenure of Dave Walker DID bring vocal harmonies to the forefront in ways that were not evident before. Consider the three-part harmony on the chorus in "Remember Me," or Walker's falsetto on "Bright Fire." The block harmonies on "Night Watch" are remarkable. Walker is very present on these songs.