View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
And since the Beatles is mentioned in this thread, I add this comment from the same book. I was googling to see if this is true, I found a comment about Here comes the sun being a tribute to Albatross, but can't confirm it's reliable.

The Beatles loved "Albatross" and recorded "Here Comes the Sun King" as a tribute to Pete.
Checking more deeplymy primary source, Mick's book, few minutes ago, I confirm its reliable:

As we were about to sign a long-term contract with Immediate, word came that John Lennon was interested in signing us to the the Beatles' new label, Apple Records. Clifford broke off negotiations with Immediate and told Melody Maker: "The Beatles have heard our new album and have become very friendly with us lately. We may sign with Apple if we can get a reasonable deal, but we are an independent team we write and produce and record so we may conceivably form our own label. " (The Beatles loved "Albatross" and recorded "Here Comes the Sun King" as a tribute to Pete.)

Eventually all this fell through, and we signed with Warner Bros. Records. The new album Clifford mentioned (whose first title, Bread and Kunny, was rejected by the label) was released a few months later as Then Play On.