View Single Post
Old 03-05-2024, 04:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Very interesting. Is there more information on Merry Clayton's miscarriage after delivering the vocal on "Gimme Shelter"?

I remember seeing the documentary "20 Feet from Stardom" that featured this story. Evidently, a very pregnant Merry Clayton at home asleep when she received a phone call from The Stones in the middle of the night asking her to come to the studio. She showed up half asleep with rollers in her hair and delivered the vocal in the sound booth.

How long after the recording did she lose the unborn child? Do you think the stress and strain of delivering the searing vocal was the cause of the miscarriage? Since I heard this story, I always cringe a bit every time I hear the song.
I think it immediately happened when she got home and was taken to the hospital. There is a documentary about it. Very sad. Her giving it all in the studio most likely lost her baby. There is some other fascinating stuff. I think they intended for her to do it again but I think it was Mick that thought it was so good when her voice cracks and they kept it.

During the Mac's height of fame in the mid 70s, the Rolling Stones would check into hotels as "Fleetwood Mac" on their tours and then trash the hotel room. Mick Fleetwood and the band would actually get invoices for the damage.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-05-2024 at 04:24 AM..