View Single Post
Old 06-13-2015, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
[Excerpt from an article about Bob Hall]

The Southern Reporter Saturday 13 June 2015

http://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk...ills-1-3799283

In the 1970s and 80s Bob led headlining bands Tramp and Rocket 88, whose sidemen included Jack Bruce of Cream, Charlie Watts of The Rolling Stones, and Mick Fleetwood and Danny Kirwan of Fleetwood Mac. In 1991 and 1993 he won the British Blues Connection Instrumentalist of the Year award.
please correct me if i'm wrong, but i got the impression that you haven't heard of tramp up until now, have you?!

tramp was a sort of loose band project (don't know if they ever played live) that - to the best of my knowledge - recorded 2 albums: the eponymous first album in 1969 (on music man records) and "put a record on" in 1974 (on the spark label). core members were dave kelly, his sister jo-anne, pianist bob hall, danny kirwan, bob brunning and mick fleetwood. the first album is definitely the best as it's a more down-to earth blues-based affair than it's follow-up. the vocals were shared by the kelly siblings, brunning and fleetwood provided a solid rhythm section with hall and kirwan both shining on piano and guitar respectively.

while "put a record on" can easily be neglected (imho), "tramp" is a truly rewarding album for any serious fan of the early mac and their off-shoots.
martin

p.s. as for tramp on cd - all cd editions so far (as far as i know) are just easily detectable vinyl rips. i'm glad i still own a vinyl copy of that first album in near mint condition - the original music man release fetches prices up to 200 gbp, even the re-release on spark can go for up to 120 gbp! so happy hunting . . . !

Last edited by lazy poker; 06-14-2015 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: adding info