View Single Post
Old 01-30-2003, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess This Is the Rock is more original besides being a send up of Elvis. Had it been an Elvis record it might have been a minor hit. I remember this one song that was Look Back In Love Not In Anger commenting on Bowie's Look Back In Anger and actually enjoyed it for it's own qualities and more than the source, so guess it can happen. I put on Shake Your Money Maker, and maybe it builds on the original ever so slightly, or he had better recording facilities, but I don't feel anything original really is brought to it, it's a cover tune done well as he did do everything as well as it probably can be technically, but I miss the original expression in it I do feel and hear in Green or Page. They bring the material alive while some are more focused on recreating something from the past which spencer has said was his mindset in opposition to the music going on at the time. Not like it's a science to dissect these things but Spencer was seen by FM itself as a side act for various reasons; he wouldn't play on other people's featured tracks, and so he had a solo release with the band while still sort of a member and was left off Then Play On. In the end people appreciate different qualities, and I am curious to hear the later recordings that may be more original or copying some other styles.

I enjoy My Heart Beat like a Hammer in with a mix of Green and Kirwan.