View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
In 1975, yes. Today, a PAF in the neck position with a hotter bridge pickup is definitely not thin. Bonus points if it’s set up with blend wiring. I had a Duncan Set Lover neck and Duncan Broadcaster bridge that covered a lot of sonic ground. For my Micawber, I use a Duncan Seth Lover and Antiquity Lap Steel bridge with blend, and that Keefs for days.

A two single coil Tele with a 4-way switch (which I doubt were around in 1975) gets a nice PAF sound in the fourth position. My main Tele has this with a DiMarzio Twang King neck and Duncan Broadcaster bridge. Also, using a .003uF ceramic disc capacitor gives the pickups a P90/PAF type tone.

Of course, there are Tele humbuckers like a DiMarzio Chopper T or Duncan Little ‘59.
Well, my two favorite strats have EMG active pickups(number one has the Vince Gill drop in system- midrange boost on the bottom tone knob), and they also have Fishman Powerbridge piezo pickups, for acoustic sounds. I WISH I could do that to my B- bender, but the open saddle on the B string doesn't allow for those mods(although I put active EMG's on it). I've thought about contacting Glaser here in Nashville about seeing if he has any new ways around this. I'm guessing he does.