View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
I'd be far more inclined to believe that account than that of Fleetwood Mac jamming for four hours on one song. Jamming with the Allman Brothers, Peter Green would have been able to share the load of playing, not having to bear much or most of the lead work himself. Jamming was never a strength for Danny Kirwan, and listening to Fleetwood Mac's jams on "Rattlesnake Shake" or "Coming Your Way", he could tend to get into a rut with his playing (as could Peter on occasion). As you well know, the Allman Brothers, along with a handful of other bands, were known for very long jams - Fleetwood Mac never were known for jams of great length. The longest surviving jams we have from the band were about 1/2 hour - perhaps the snippets we have from the early '71 tour jams come from significantly longer sessions, but we don't really know. Could they have managed a single four-hour jam? Sure, it's possible but I still have my doubts.

I guess I'm just a "non-believer" about this story, based on it coming from a single account from what I feel is a questionable source, so unless another source can be found for this event taking place, I'll just leave it at that.

It was a much different (and much better musically) time then. 1) Peter Green was in complete free-form wah-pedal jam mode. 2) There was no time limit for concerts at the Fillmore East. When the Allmans' played the last concert at the Fillmore East, they ended at dawn. 3) Not every FM concert post Spencer with Green as a sub had a BMW jam.

According to what's been written, Peter Green stayed in the shadows playing rhythm guitar for FM to fill in for Jeremy Spencer for a couple of weeks. Danny Kirwan took all the solos, and that was it. Then came the Fillmore East show. Green steps to the front, makes himself known, and thus the infamous BMW jam. This is not impossible to believe if you are a fan of those bands from the "hippie ballroom circuit". If you're not, you need to wrap your head around a time that really happened! Back then McVie, and Fleetwood were stallions (a rhythm force)! Maybe it was two, three, or four hours. Whatever the case, it was a VERY long jam. Which is why I think Danny Kirwan tried to hit Peter Green in the head with a glass beer bottle after the show, out of pure frustration! That account is not from Clifford Davis.

Last edited by slipkid; 03-13-2012 at 12:45 AM..