View Single Post
Old 02-05-2024, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
They discussed this on Stern this morning. I was wondering if any clips of Lindsey were in the Netflix special. I thought about posting this in the Lindsey thread. Apparently Sheena Easton was dating Prince at the time and felt used. She felt they only invited her so Prince would come. Prince was a douche as usual, not wanting people to look at him singing and wanted to play guitar in a separate room alone. He was upset that Lionel and Michael told him that the music to the song was already written and did not need music. Prince then stayed home. Sheena Easton was upset and felt used to get Prince there and they did not ask her to sing a solo part.
Bob Dylan seemed really nervous and Stevie Wonder had to teach him on the piano to sing his part.
I wonder how Lindsey was asked to participate. Has he ever spoken about his role or how he participated. If Lindsey was in the special, I would watch it.

Villavic, why do you keep mentioning Stevie participating? You have information she was asked? I dont think she was asked.
I always love the way Lindsey signed his name BIG and CENTER at the beginning of the video. Cyndi Lauper stated she had a miserable time being there. The recording went on all night.
They just mentioned Lindsey and showed a picture, at the beginning. No interview.

It was Sheila E., not Sheena Easton (she wasn't there). And yes she was interviewed and talked about Prince, and explained why she felt used.

I don't have information if Stevie was asked, as I said in my first post, I wonder if they asked her to participate. But being popular in the 80s, I'm curious why they didn't ask her (and asked Lindsey instead) if they didn't. It was early 1985, she didn't release an album in '84 but The Wild Heart was a great success in '83 so she surely still was considered a star. Lindsey was included, though Go Insane ('84) just peaked at #45. He was mentioned at the beginning of the doc: "and we asked the other artists that we had on our roster, like Kim Carnes and Lindsey Buckingham ". Why they had Lindsey in their roster, they didn't explain. I was happy he was there, but angry he was back in the last row.

They asked artists who not necessarily were in LA at that time. Dionne Warwick was in Vegas and had to fly that night. So geography was not an issue.

And the purpose of We Are The World was getting money to help Ethiopians. Though there were great musicians, the presence of well known stars was a better factor to acheive the goal.

The explanation of why Madonna was not invited does not satisfy me either. But she was in Live Aid, where no Fleetwood Mac member was (Philadelfia or Wembley).