View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
That's because you consider it goofy. I don't consider it goofy.
Oh, it IS goofy. What if Mick said that he didn't want to play a Buckingham Nicks song because he felt like a lounge drummer??? Be honest, it makes you laugh thinking about it.
Quote:
Songwriters, especially -- of which I happen not to be one -- are understandably into playing their own material.
I write songs, but I also enjoy playing others' songs. For me, it's a way to expand my knowledge base as a musician, if nothing else. There are things in somebody else's material, such as chords and phrasing, that I might not have thought about that I might be able to extrapolate into one of my own songs.
Quote:
Lindsey himself was like that even before he joined Fleetwood Mac: local So Cal agents & bookers told him they'd find him plenty of work if he'd play Top 40 material, & he was totally unenthusiastic about that -- even if it meant another month of Hamburger Helper.
But even THAT is different than doing old Fleetwood Mac songs. Mick, John, and Christine were on those songs, so it wasn't like he was playing in a cover band. Just as Mick, John, and Christine weren't playing in a cover band whenever they did "Crystal," "Don't Let Me Down Again," and "Frozen Love." There was a direct connection to those songs.
Quote:
The fact of the matter is that you guys see a sort of nostalgia-laden metaphysical interconnection between all the various incarnations of the Mac -- so do I, but only in a figurative sense. In other words, in practical terms (in terms of individual psychology & preference), "Fleetwood Mac" is a fiction: nothing more than a series of songwriters & singers & musicians that followed or preceded one another in various specific groupings along a certain timeline. But you really take "Chain, keep us together" literally in the sense that you want the metaphysical binding of that "Chain" to apply to pragmatic elements, such as set lists & so forth. To me, that's crying for the moon. It's like extinguishing the fire in the fireplace so that Santa won't get scorched.
Interesting point. I don't necessarily see it that way, though. It has less to do with the metaphsical binding of that "Chain" than it does recognizing that there has been more to their careers than just the stuff everybody knows. That Mick and John, as well as Stevie and Lindsey, had careers before getting together as the Big Mac. Their concerts are partially promotion for the new album, but also a celebration of their careers. A better way of explaining this is when Dave Mason was in Fleetwood Mac, I would have been upset if they didn't do "We Just Disagree" and at least one other song from his earlier career (solo or with Traffic). That's also a reason why Billy's tenure with Fleetwood Mac was disappointing. To just go by what he did in concert, nobody would have ever realized that he actually had a career prior to meeting Mick Fleetwood. "The Bigger The Love" should have been a staple in the set during his tenure, and John McVie knows it! Another way of putting it is if they had fired Lindsey during the "Tusk" tour, and Clapton had joined, wouldn't we expect at least one song from the "Bluesbreaker" album? I certainly would.
Quote:
Steve, did I ever say how glad I really am that you're posting on this board a lot more? You & I go waaaaaaaaaay back, you ol' son-of-a-gun, you.
Well thank you! Ahh, the old amfm. The good old days. Hard to believe it's been a decade since all that madness began. I'm really glad that the Ledge is here and that I'm able to be a part of it! A lot of us old timers go waaaaaay back, and it's nice that a lot of us are still here!

THE Stephen Hopkins