View Single Post
Old 12-20-2023, 07:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If there were conflicts between Lindsey and Christine during 1975 recording sessions, probably it wasn't big deal. Or were overshadowed by those between John and Lindsey; those differences were mentioned in the Classic Albums Making of Rumours video, but more detailed in Mick's first book, all about J&L, but nothing between L&C:

And all did not go smoothly in the studio. Lindsey was full of ideas about how his new band should sound. He's a record producer at heart, and felt strongly about the way the music should come across. He'd sit down at the drums and suggest rhythms and parts. "Hey Mick, try this. " But when he started doing that with John McVie, he ended up in a whole heap of trouble. John has always been a bit overprotective of his own ability and never liked suggestions. So John and Lindsey got straight to loggerheads. That was the start-off, and of course Lindsey couldn't win. (McVie is a consummate game-player, and Lindsey just didn't know. If he wants, McVie can get me on my knees, exhausted, begging for him to stop.) Bloody-minded, John would growl, "I'm not sitting here being told what to do by someone who's just joined the ****ing band!"
There was a pecking order, and Lindsey had to be taught some tact or McVie would attack him. John would say, "Hang on a see, you're talkie' to McVie here!"

All this, I thought, was very healthy in the long run. At one point they told each other to **** off, and that was it. After that, there was a balancing situation between their personalities. Lindsey was confronted with the fact that although he had been dominant in Buckingham Nicks, now he was in a band, one which did things by consensus. Fleetwood Mac has always been a democracy.

Well, that last sentence, I'm sure it's far from accurate.