View Single Post
Old 12-20-2023, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
If there were conflicts between Lindsey and Christine during 1975 recording sessions, probably it wasn't big deal. Or were overshadowed by those between John and Lindsey; those differences were mentioned in the Classic Albums Making of Rumours video, but more detailed in Mick's first book, all about J&L, but nothing between L&C:

And all did not go smoothly in the studio. Lindsey was full of ideas about how his new band should sound. He's a record producer at heart, and felt strongly about the way the music should come across. He'd sit down at the drums and suggest rhythms and parts. "Hey Mick, try this. " But when he started doing that with John McVie, he ended up in a whole heap of trouble. John has always been a bit overprotective of his own ability and never liked suggestions. So John and Lindsey got straight to loggerheads. That was the start-off, and of course Lindsey couldn't win. (McVie is a consummate game-player, and Lindsey just didn't know. If he wants, McVie can get me on my knees, exhausted, begging for him to stop.) Bloody-minded, John would growl, "I'm not sitting here being told what to do by someone who's just joined the ****ing band!"
There was a pecking order, and Lindsey had to be taught some tact or McVie would attack him. John would say, "Hang on a see, you're talkie' to McVie here!"

All this, I thought, was very healthy in the long run. At one point they told each other to **** off, and that was it. After that, there was a balancing situation between their personalities. Lindsey was confronted with the fact that although he had been dominant in Buckingham Nicks, now he was in a band, one which did things by consensus. Fleetwood Mac has always been a democracy.

Well, that last sentence, I'm sure it's far from accurate.
It was a democracy until $tevie became the cash cow....err, goat.