View Single Post
Old 11-18-2023, 09:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
I just wanted to mention that I had a similar experience, it wasn't really 'cool' to be into Christine McVie...or even to like Fleetwood Mac at that time, really. I only had a few friends that knew my absolute obsession. I remember my 7th grade class making fun of the 'Hold Me' video and I was embarrassed to say I loved that song and video! When I went to see Chris at Great Adventure, I don't think i told many people... but i'm always proud of how well this band and their music has stood the test of time. One hardly remembers all the dweebs my friends were listening to in the 80's, but the name Fleetwood Mac certainly is still well known and respected today.

--Lis
I've been there. My 80s group of friends liked Stevie just because she recorded with Tom Petty. I was the only guy who liked simultaneously Fleetwood Mac (+ their members solo songs), Donna Summer, Tom Petty and Heartbreakers, Pet Shop Boys, Pink Floyd, Beethoven, Carpenters, Rick Wakeman, U2, etc. etc. When I mentioned some of those singers/bands, they never said it out loud to me but did look at me as if I was kind of a freak.

It took several years to recognize the legacy of those, and for example see scenes like Bono bowing to Bjorn and Benny.