View Single Post
Old 11-18-2023, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
I just wanted to mention that I had a similar experience, it wasn't really 'cool' to be into Christine McVie...or even to like Fleetwood Mac at that time, really. I only had a few friends that knew my absolute obsession. I remember my 7th grade class making fun of the 'Hold Me' video and I was embarrassed to say I loved that song and video! When I went to see Chris at Great Adventure, I don't think i told many people... but i'm always proud of how well this band and their music has stood the test of time. One hardly remembers all the dweebs my friends were listening to in the 80's, but the name Fleetwood Mac certainly is still well known and respected today.

--Lis
I had a similar experience growing up. I fell in love with Mirage at age 12 and the two singles were huge here, thanks to MTV. But to be 12 and 13 in 1982 and claim FM your band was very uncool. Judas Priest, Led Zeppelin, Duran Duran, REO, and Journey were all more “acceptable” options. By 1984, many considered FM has beens. Christine, who was always a hard sell for most teens, wasn’t attracting a lot of new fans, even with a top ten hit. But I loved her and about 1/2 the songs on her solo album. I remember listening to “Smile” and “Ask” a lot. And “One in a Million” was so hot! But again, no one else I knew was impressed. The Carpenters Greatest Hits album got more traction than 1984’s Christine McVie.

2.5 years later, she was once again a huge force in pop. Everyone was singing “Everywhere” and “Little Lies.” Her resurgence was remarkable.