View Single Post
Old 10-15-2023, 04:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Mystery to Me 50th Anniversary

If the release date on Wikipedia is correct, today is the 50th anniversary of Mystery to Me. Both fans and band members generally regard this as one of the best pre-Buckingham/Nicks albums, and I certainly agree with that sentiment.
  • "Emerald Eyes" is a sublime opener and one of the few Fleetwood Mac songs that utilizes an odd time signature (6/4).
  • "Believe Me" features incredibly melodic bass playing from John McVie. The bass guitar essentially serves as another lead instrument.
  • "Just Crazy Love" was dusted off for McVie's 1984 tour and it was a welcome addition to the set.
  • "Hypnotized" was one of the few pre-Buckingham/Nicks songs to receive any airplay in the United States and features an airtight drum groove from Fleetwood.
  • "Forever" could be the first time that Fleetwood Mac ever used a drum machine, and they wouldn't do so again until Tango in the Night.
  • "Keep on Going's" string arrangement is innovative and adds an interesting dimension to the song.
  • "The City" is a psychedelic rocker and arguably the heaviest song on the album.
  • "Miles Away" is yet another song with a strong bassline from John McVie.
  • "Somebody" is a fun track that makes use of a jawbone/vibraslap.
  • "The Way I Feel" is an understated ballad
  • "For Your Love" is a wonderful cover that I prefer to the original
  • "Why" is one of the strongest songs on the album. I listened to it extensively after the passing of Christine McVie.