View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Stevie is not on this board. She need not be a "big girl". It doesn't matter if she can "take it." She isn't even here. Whether she can take the criticism or not is irrelevant. It's fine to insult people who are not here. It's not ok to attack people you're in a conversation with, because they said something you didn't like about your favorite star -- who is not in the conversation, doesn't know about it and doesn't care. I don't know why that's a difficult distinction.
When I made my original comment, I was thinking more along the lines of people who rationalize that celebrities "sign up for" and "deserve" things like anonymous insults and paparazzi stalkings. I never understood why someone's line of work being lucrative or making them known to a large number of people should influence how they are treated by others. So your distinction of basing things on who is and isn't here is something different, and that's why I said I understand it on a certain level, although I'm not sure how we can ever know who is here and who isn't. We've had band members here before, and it wouldn't shock me to know that others check it out anonymously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The problem with Homer McVie's post is that coming on the heels of people getting upset about his goat comment, I think it was designed to bait people here and that's not ok. You can speak an opinion, but if you do it with the deliberate intent to make others upset, then that's wrong. If a collateral effect of speaking one's mind is making a protective fan upset, then that fan shouldn't be here.
Makes sense, but I can usually distinguish between a criticism, which doesn't bother me, and an insult, which almost always feels like baiting.