View Single Post
Old 12-02-2023, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
You have to remember that this was Stan Webb's band, it's always been - and through all of the band's history he was anxious to be the star of the show. On stage he was only allowing Christine the odd vocal spot to give himself a breather. And considering this short 5-song set (opening up for "The Gun"), I'm sure that it wasn't Christine's decision not to sing but Stan's, being intent to keep the attention solely on himself. He didn't even give her one single solo, and I guess that says it all!

BTW - this was in 1969 (not 68), but "I'd Rather Be Blind" wasn't out yet at the time, so folks didn't know it - let alone expect it.
Sure, yes, I’ve read about her singing when Stan needed a breather or a beer. But it is a little surprising still, considering she had vocal spotlights on both records and the crowd audibly appreciated her in the intro.

She didn’t solo—not surprising. She rarely did with FM, either. But her piano throughout was upfront and center. It’s functioning here in a prominent way. And that is so cool to hear.