View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Good Gosh! Wendy sure gives the impression that Chris McVie was a tyrant! I did some checking into Bob's feelings on the band. I took another look at his interview with THE PENGUIN (which I'm sure you've all read). This is one of the most candid interviews I've read from Bob. Check it out. Here's a small excerpt:

The "vibeyness" of Mick, John and Chris, all three together, would affect anybody who was in FM...This would be totally separate and apart from any problems that Stevie and Lindsey, for example, were having between themselves as a "couple". Don't forget too, a band is not just a group of friends, but also a business, like a sports team with a specific purpose, so there are PROFESSIONAL jealousies and frictions also.

It's my understanding that Stevie and Lindsey were just on a small "retainer" for a trial period when they first joined FM. Mick, John and Chris at that point had the power to "hire and fire" them. As it became obvious through touring, that Stevie and Lindsey were the real "stars" of the reformed band, I'm sure the 'powertripping" got REAL thick. Stevie, from the very first drew enormous attention and got huge press coverage......she was a natural star. Christine, who had a habit of sarcastically "sniping" at ME when she thought I was trying to "ham it up" on stage, REALLY must have given Stevie some s--t for her "melodramatic" stage antics. Yet these same "antics", and the smoky tension between Stevie and Lindsey was what was helping the band get over big time. Christine, although she had more hit singles than Stevie and Lindsey, got far less attention. People also made fun of Stevie for the very things that were so attractive about her as a performer. Stevie was very "gushing" on stage, exactly the opposite from the much more reserved and ('scuse me) "constipated" English members. The "English members" were also always "pulling rank" on the "new" members, constantly subtly reminding them that THEY were the "original" Fleetwood Mac, THEY knew what Fleetwood Mac was all about, THEY would have final say as to what music got kept etc etc.

So Carol, I think that all of this is what Stevie means when she says her "life was made miserable"....Even after all this time, Mick, John and Chris STILL have EMOTIONAL control over the band. THEY are the true "prima donnas", NOT Stevie or Lindsey in my opinion...

As far as "fun", even in prison, you occasionally have "fun", and of course there were fun times in the S&L band... but the OVERALL vibe was..... miserable and......TENSE. And IN-tense...

Carol, I probably have a ton of "Stevie' stories, but lemme save SOMETHING for my book ! ;-)