View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have always loved "Southern Accents" and consider it one of Tom Petty's best songs (and I'm a major fan of his work). Considering how badly this could have been reinterpreted, I'm actually quite pleased with the outcome.

I think Stevie should have been featured earlier on with her harmony beginning at the start of the second verse and I don't like that Charles cuts in on the line "Got my own way of praying" during Stevie's verse, but it's not enough to destroy the track.

Stevie sounds great, if slightly mannered, but she generally offers up polite performances on other's tracks these days.

The overall production is pleasant, but slightly too slick and over the top towards the end.

I'd love Stevie to consider "Southern Accents" for inclusion in her next solo live show - I'd much prefer just her vocal on this song.

I note that Stevie instigated her inclusion on the recording:
http://theboot.com/charles-kelley-so...accents-video/

As an aside, I'd love to hear Stevie's take on Tom Petty's "A Face In The Crowd" - that could really be something.

PS Does Charles actually sing "praying" in the third verse? It sounds like "traying", whatever that might be.

Last edited by Phil; 02-05-2016 at 09:33 PM..