View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I don't believe he challenges people just for the sake of a challenge. He has specific ideas and sensibilities. Lindsey likes to have control and work alone. Fleetwood Mac has the benefit of his musical talent/production skills, and his man-alone work ethic has served him well in his solo career. It must be so much easier to work alone, where the only challenges are his own.
I'm not so sure about that. The central theme of the Destiny Rules documentary is Lindsey's drive to push the band into an edgier sound, a larger format, and to redefine themselves without Christine. He even admits that he's a troublemaker. He methodically pushes people past the point where he wants to end up, anticipating they will backtrack to where he actually wants things to be. I'm not saying Lindsey does any of these things malevolently, quite the opposite. I think he just wants to expand the comfort zones and minds of both the band and it's followers. I think that's why during Say You Will he insisted on the double album, for Stevie to bring in freshly written material, and for Stevie to give other mixers a chance, etc.

Regarding Lindsey preferring to be in charge and work on his own, I do think that was true for a long time. However, I don't think that's true anymore. The past few years Lindsey has spoken of not wanting that responsibility of being a producer for Fleetwood Mac anymore, and of wanting to bring in various producers to see what they could do with Fleetwood Mac's sound.

Back to the topic of Richard's blog... I find it interesting how people are villainizing Ken, Richard, Lindsey, Stevie, etc. I'd agree it's safe to say Ken's book exhibited that he had a bit of a chip on his shoulder when it comes to Fleetwood Mac. Honestly, if I were him, I probably would too. It sounds like the band cast him off much the way they have so many of the supporting characters from earlier in their career: Judy Wong, John Courage, Richard Dashut himself, to former members like Bob Welch, and friends like Sara Fleetwood. Richard Dashut brought this up during the early days of his blog about how the band has insulated themselves from him, and how hurtful it was. He's softened his stance now, because it sounds like the band is talking to him about producing their new album.

Which brings up another topic- I have a strong feeling the band doesn't really have any interest in using Richard for their new album. After all, Lindsey's songs are apparently completed products, and Christine's are well on their way. Lindsey has spoken extensively about wanting fresh producers to see what they could do with the band's sound, etc. Instead, I have a feeling that the band is opening communication back up with Richard so they can influence what he shares on his blog. I truly hope I'm wrong, because the band really lost a vital part of what made their sound so magical when they parted ways with Richard and Ken.